The wellness of the brain is a precursor for the general well-being of any human. Consequently, the ability to access proper mental healthcare is a necessity for every human being. Psychiatry is a branch of medicine that deals with such issues. American Psychiatric Association (APA) has defined it as a branch of medicine dealing with diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders.
Who is a Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor or a health practitioner who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders and other mental health issues. Primarily, psychiatrists use medicine to treat mental health issues after careful diagnosis. However, in some cases, they use psychotherapy to treat their patients. It is important to note that psychiatrists must train in medical schools for at least 4 years before training in psychiatry for another 4 years. They diagnose and prescribe treatment for conditions like:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD)
- Bipolar Disorder, among others.
Where do Psychiatrists Work?
Psychiatrists work in a variety of settings in any country. This may include private practice, clinics, university medical centers, community agencies, rehabilitation centers, hospice programs, general and psychiatric hospitals, military hospitals, among other healthcare facilities. According to the American Psychiatric Association, half the number of Psychiatrists in the United States are in private practice, while most of them work in multiple settings. APA reports that there are about 45000 Psychiatrists in the US.
Importance of Psychiatry in Society
- Helps in the reduction of stress and anxiety. This is because a psychiatrist helps one to understand the exact cause of their stress or anxiety and also provides treatment for the same.
- As mentioned, stress and anxiety which lead to depression are caused by many things, among them biological factors. It’s only a psychiatrist that can come up with an elaborate diagnosis on what is ailing one. Therefore, psychiatry helps in pinpointing the specific issue.
- Psychiatry is crucial in ensuring that one leaves a stress, depression, and addiction-free life. In so doing it improves the quality of life of individuals in society, which in turn reduces unrest amongst a country’s population.
Here at Connections Wellness Group , we offer psychiatric services at pocket-friendly prices. Do not hesitate to contact us for more information.