Trauma is caused by a number of different situations and experiences and leaves people with lingering symptoms that may not appear for several weeks, months, or years after the event. For anyone who is struggling with past or recent traumas, there are several tips to help with trauma recovery that will reduce the physical and psychological symptoms that occur when triggered. A trauma therapy program can go a long way toward helping people manage their symptoms and find new ways of coping with triggering situations or people.
At Connections Wellness Group, we work with men and women who have experienced a recent or past trauma and having difficulty controlling their thoughts and behaviors. Our therapists take the time to build trust and open communication with each patient so they feel comfortable opening up about sensitive subjects and traumatic memories. Therapists use a combination of therapies to teach patients healthy coping skills and how not to let their triggers cause negative behaviors or thoughts. To learn more about our trauma therapy treatment and tips on coping with trauma, call 940.360.4245 today to speak with our compassionate team.
What Is Trauma Therapy Treatment?
Trauma therapy treatment works to decrease the impact that traumatic events have on a person’s physical and mental health. A traumatic event can be anything that causes an intense emotional response that has lingering effects that can last for several years without proper treatment. The most common types of trauma include:
- Military service with active combat situations
- Natural disasters
- COVID-19 pandemic
- The sudden loss of a loved one
- Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse
- Peer pressure
- A serious car accident
- Gender or sexual confusion
- In-person and online bullying
If trauma is left unresolved, it can lead to a host of mental health issues, such as major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance use disorders, and other complex issues. Fortunately, trauma is treatable using a combination of behavioral and holistic therapies along with medication-assisted treatment.
Connections Wellness Group is a full-service mental health treatment facility that teaches patients how to cope with trauma in a healthy way. Our therapists dive deep into their personal backgrounds and history to understand the trauma and begin building effective coping mechanisms.
Tips to Help with Trauma Recovery
If you or a loved one is struggling to cope with chronic, acute, or complex traumas, there are several healthy tips to help with trauma recovery. These tips go a long way toward easing trauma symptoms and reducing the impact triggering situations have on them.
Here are some beneficial tips on coping with trauma that you will learn during trauma therapy:
- Acknowledge your feelings – One of the first things you will learn in trauma therapy is how to stop ignoring your feelings and facing them head-on. Therapists use a variety of behavioral therapies that break the association between traumatic memories and the negative physical and psychological behaviors the trauma creates. Some of the therapies you will participate in include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Mindfulness and meditation – Understanding how trauma affects you is critical to learning how to manage symptoms and triggers. Mindfulness is the practice of staying present at the moment instead of obsessing over past experiences or troubling memories. Meditation is an excellent form of therapy where you can quiet the mind and form a deeper connection with yourself and gain a better understanding of how the trauma affects you.
- Build healthy relationships – Recovering from trauma is not a solo activity. The more positive people you have in your life who want to see you happy and healthy, the better. They will become an integral part of your recovery and be there for you on those difficult days. One key benefit of trauma therapy is the friendships that can develop between peers.
Learning how to cope with trauma is essential for those who experienced combat, suddenly lost a loved one, are bullied or physically assaulted, or have other common traumas. A trauma therapy program can teach you healthy coping methods and stop symptoms from worsening before it is too late.
Connections Wellness Group: Start Recovery with Trauma Therapy Programs in Texas
Connections Wellness Group is a full-service mental health treatment facility with outpatient and telehealth treatment programs to support individuals who have experienced a traumatic event. When you first arrive at our facility, we will run a full assessment of your health and use this information to create a tailored treatment program. Programs use a mix of therapies and medical support to create a whole-person recovery experience.